now browsing by tag
This past deer season was the best I can remember in years with plenty of 200 pound bucks showing up on social media and in photos tacked up by the liar’s bench in many of the small town general store tagging stations. In my local area, big bucks were hanging from game poles all across eastern and northern Maine. I thought, “What if every year could be like this?” It was an intriguing notion.
There is plenty of debate on whether deer mortality rates are impacted more by wintering habitat or coyote predation. I’ll leave that to the wildlife biologists and academics. As a hunter and guide I can tell you a couple of things for sure. Northeast Maine is coyote country and coyotes kill deer. While I‘ve never been a big fan of making New Year’s resolutions, this year I am making an exception – kill more coyotes. If you are new to predator hunting and want to join me this season, here are some tips to help get you started.
Our Stand #1 location is prime black bear and whitetail deer country. Numerous heavily used game trails network through this site.
Applications must be completed by 11:59 pm (ET) on August 15, 2016.
A chance drawing will be held on September 9, 2016.
How to Apply for an Any-Deer Permit
There is no application fee to apply for an any-deer permit.
To apply for an any-deer permit, you must possess a valid Maine license to hunt big game. Exceptions: See Maine resident landowners. You may enter up to three (3) Wildlife Management District choices in order of preference.
Everyone is strongly encouraged to help the Department in its efforts to save money by applying for the any-deer permit lottery using the online application. The online application process is quick and easy. Applicants will get instant confirmation of their entry into the lottery.
Bonus Deer Permits
Bonus deer permits will only be awarded in WMD’s where there are more permits available than applications received. If you do not want to apply for an any-deer permit but would like to apply for a bonus deer permit should bonus permits be available, make sure you designate a WMD choice for a bonus deer permit. No WMD changes can be made after the drawing.
- A bonus deer permit entitles a hunter to an additional antlerless deer.
- Bonus deer permits are for antlerless deer only. An applicant may choose to apply for a bonus deer permit and not apply for an any-deer permit.
- Bonus deer permits will be distributed to hunters who applied for a bonus deer permit in the WMD where any-deer permits went unused. If selected to receive a bonus deer permit you will be notified by mail and there will be a $12.00 fee. Bonus deer permits can be paid for right up to the last day of the muzzleloading season on deer.
- Successful bonus deer permit applicants will be listed online with the any-deer permit and superpack deer permit winners.
- Bonus deer permits may be used at any time during the archery, expanded archery (designated areas only), firearm, or muzzle-loading seasons on deer, but only in the assigned WMD. Hunters are not required to fill their any-deer permit prior to using a bonus deer permit.
- Bonus deer permits are available to residents and nonresidents and will be allocated in the same proportion of residents to nonresidents as the regular any-deer permit drawing.
- Bonus deer permits may be transferred in the same manner as any-deer permits. The deadline for the bonus deer permit is the same as the any-deer permit.
Source: Maine.gov, Dept of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife