Tag: Deer Hunting
I have three words for the Maine Legislature’s Committee on Inland Fisheries and Wildlife – shame on you. By bowing to anti-hunting activists and out of state interests, you have sold your own constituents down the river. And for what good cause?
LD 11, sponsored by State Representative Stephen Wood, proposed amending Maine’s constitution to establish the right to hunt and fish was recently before the committee for a vote. The result was a split decision with ‘Ought Not to Pass’ gaining the majority vote. Read More…
The first thought that may cross your mind when you hear the report of a rifle in the still of the night next week could be ‘Poachers!’ – But that may be jumping the gun. Maine’s night hunting season on coyote opens Saturday December 16th at 12:01 a.m. Read More…
The time we have all been waiting for is finally here. All of our early scouting is complete. Rub lines, scrapes and bedding areas have been identified and a hunt plan is in place. Tree stands are up and blinds are popped. Our rifles are cleaned and oiled, ready for the 2017 deer firearm season debut. A few of us put some rounds on paper to check our zero, many of us have not. We figured it this way; the rifle has been in the cabinet, protected since last year. It hasn’t been dropped or knocked about and we know we are a darned good shot, right? Why bother? Let me relate a story to you about a hunter in bear camp this year and the biggest bear he never shot.
I’ll be honest, when my client Doug told me he was considering using an AR-15 for his son Will’s Youth Day deer hunt last October I was somewhat skeptical. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a huge AR fan. I learned to shoot in the military with one and have owned a few ever since. My 20 inch Stag Arms Mil-Spec model is one of my favorite guns.
Applications must be completed by 11:59 pm (ET) on August 15, 2016.
A chance drawing will be held on September 9, 2016.
How to Apply for an Any-Deer Permit
There is no application fee to apply for an any-deer permit.
To apply for an any-deer permit, you must possess a valid Maine license to hunt big game. Exceptions: See Maine resident landowners. You may enter up to three (3) Wildlife Management District choices in order of preference.
Everyone is strongly encouraged to help the Department in its efforts to save money by applying for the any-deer permit lottery using the online application. The online application process is quick and easy. Applicants will get instant confirmation of their entry into the lottery.
Bonus Deer Permits
Bonus deer permits will only be awarded in WMD’s where there are more permits available than applications received. If you do not want to apply for an any-deer permit but would like to apply for a bonus deer permit should bonus permits be available, make sure you designate a WMD choice for a bonus deer permit. No WMD changes can be made after the drawing.
- A bonus deer permit entitles a hunter to an additional antlerless deer.
- Bonus deer permits are for antlerless deer only. An applicant may choose to apply for a bonus deer permit and not apply for an any-deer permit.
- Bonus deer permits will be distributed to hunters who applied for a bonus deer permit in the WMD where any-deer permits went unused. If selected to receive a bonus deer permit you will be notified by mail and there will be a $12.00 fee. Bonus deer permits can be paid for right up to the last day of the muzzleloading season on deer.
- Successful bonus deer permit applicants will be listed online with the any-deer permit and superpack deer permit winners.
- Bonus deer permits may be used at any time during the archery, expanded archery (designated areas only), firearm, or muzzle-loading seasons on deer, but only in the assigned WMD. Hunters are not required to fill their any-deer permit prior to using a bonus deer permit.
- Bonus deer permits are available to residents and nonresidents and will be allocated in the same proportion of residents to nonresidents as the regular any-deer permit drawing.
- Bonus deer permits may be transferred in the same manner as any-deer permits. The deadline for the bonus deer permit is the same as the any-deer permit.
Source: Maine.gov, Dept of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife